Pension Plan Summary Plan Description

11.3 Exceptions to Prohibited Employment

You may work at any age, and for unlimited hours, while you continue to receive your pension benefits:

  1. as a private or public building or electrical inspector;
  2. as an instructor in a Taft-Hartley Trust apprenticeship and training program;
  3. in sales of electrical equipment or products;
  4. in the manufacturing or marketing of electrical or electronic products and systems which is not a substitute for on-site fabrication protected or sought to be protected under IBEW Inside Wire Agreements; and
  5. service as a Plan trustee that constitutes Covered Employment.

The substance of the work, not the title it is given, controls whether the work is Prohibited Employment or falls under one of the exceptions. Consequently, you are urged to request advice of the Plan Office regarding any work you may wish to perform after retirement even if the post-retirement work you are offered sounds as if it is not prohibited. While you have the right, at any time, to an advance determination on whether proposed work constitutes Prohibited Employment, to claim an exception from Prohibited Employment you must file proof with the Plan Office of actual excepted work and a detailed description from the service recipient of the work to be performed. The detailed description should include the number of hours per month, the geographic location(s), and whether the work will require the use of skills acquired as an inside wireman. You must have an actual, bona fide offer of employment, as the Plan Office will not render advice with respect to work that is hypothetical or speculative.

If you engage in work that has been excepted from Prohibited Employment, the Plan Office may require you to submit periodic proof that the exception continues to apply. In the event that you fail to supply the Plan Office with sufficient facts upon which the Plan Office can verify continuing excepted work, upon written notice your pension benefits may be suspended. You may appeal any such decision to the Board.